Pages

11.17.2010

Just normal life...

 So...finding out our little nugget can't hear stirs up an array of emotions.  Some not so good...but also not all of them are bad.  We have got a lot of calls, visits, emails, texts, etc. from family and friends which we are beyond grateful for!  But sometimes...if you let your mind wonder you are hoping and praying they are not "feeling sorry" for him or us.  I had this conversation with Chris when he was overwhelmed by all the support we were given.  He made one statement..."I don't want their pitty, he is still Kellan!"  While we both know this is not the case it is hard not to let these feelings creep in.  

So, because he is just our sweet boy I thought I'd share some pics of his and our normal as of late...
Yep...doesn't every kid take all the toilet paper off the roll?
 Now...I have found R in some predicaments in her 4 years, but this is new.  Chris took one of the drawers out of his dresser and little nugget climbed right up and in.  Here he is trying to figure out how he will exit?
Helping daddy fix the dishwasher.
Trying to figure out why I always have a camera in his face?
Just lovin' on each other...
So, here is the not so bad part of the emotions we have had as of late.  Learning sign language.  R is signing play which is what these two spend all their days doing.
This is K's version.  It is beyond cute when he is on the floor and starts wiggling his wrists and trying to get his fingers out!  So far he is signing play, eat, and more.  At lunch, sissy reviews these with him and then goes over the sissy, mommy and daddy signs.  My heart is overjoyed when I see those two interact.  Somehow I feel this journey will give them a bond that will be unexplainable!
I have told her many times..."R, brother watches you and will do what you do!"  
What do you guys think?
And yes...that is the sign for I LOVE YOU!

Speaking of I love you's and thank you's I have a few of my own...

First,
Mike, Emily, Maddie and Micah...thank you all for your help in the last month!  We met Mike and Emily in our small group.  They already lived in our neighborhood and when they decided to buy a bigger home they ended up beside of us!  Maddie is R's best friend and to say they have made life easier for Rilynn and myself is an understatement.  So...thank you all for being such great neighbors and friends.  We love you!

Here's the biggy...
To OUR Liz, thank you would never be enough.  
You are our family and we love you more than you could ever know!  
It is hard for me to portray the blessing that walked into my life while working at FormWell.  
Liz is one of my old clients, but became much much more to our family.  
She LOVES my babies.  
She drops everything if I need her.  
She beat me to the hospital when K was admitted in September.  I didn't ask her to come, didn't know that would be the first face I would see after exiting the ambulance.  
She aches when I ache.  
She steps in, so I don't even have to ask.  
She researches for me.  
She is a giver!  
She recently gave me the best gift I have ever received.  She told me for my birthday she wanted to give me sign language classes and handed me a slew of papers with some names and numbers.  It's not the actual gift that brought tears to my eyes and turned my stomach into knots.  Liz has never missed a birthday or anniversary.  It's that she knows me and my fears.  She felt my motherly ache.
What Liz doesn't know...SHE is my gift.
God gave her to me us and I hope she knows that I thank Him for her everyday multiple times a day!
WE LOVE YOU!

1 comment:

Meghan DeHart said...

this is erin's sister meghan. i just read your blog and obviously found out about your son. i will be praying for you and all your feelings that come with that. when we found out piper was type 1 diabetic, we felt the same way. it's hard to know your child will have something that will follow them through life, but it's in how you react that will help them get through it as well. and it's ok to be sad, he is your child and it is normal and expected for those emotions to come through.
i will say, we taught reese and piper some sign language and i'm sure your doctors gave you recommendations, but a friend of ours loved signing time http://www.signingtime.com/ . and we used talking hands and liked it as well. signing time is definitely more fun for the kids though and it would be fun for your daughter too.
i pray you are encouraged each day of this journey.